I'm an Argentine-American storyteller living in Appalachia.
In the past decade, I’ve written about American cage fighters, immigrant soccer players, front-line health care workers, and hundreds of international nonprofit and higher education leaders for publications including ESPN, The Knoxville Mercury, Top Drawer Soccer, Latino Outdoors, and the University of Tennessee's Torchbearer Magazine.
When I am not writing, I am either speaking about the craft or coaching writers and teaching people how to tell their stories better.
Before earning a master’s degree in communication and information from the University of Tennessee, I attended William Paterson University, where I completed a bachelor’s degree in Latin American and Latino studies.
By day, I work for the University of Tennessee’s news and information department. I also serve as the chair of the board of directors for Centro Hispano de East Tennessee and chronicler for One Knoxville Sporting Club.
A selection of my recent and favorite published work:
- 10/13/21 "Portraits of Resilience: Knoxville's Latino Entrepreneurs," Knoxville Entrepreneurship Center
- 6/8/21 "Deeply Rooted," Profile of Oscar-nominated West Virginian filmmaker Elaine McMillion Sheldon, Torchbearer Magazine
- 11/9/20 "Alumna Combines Love for Medicine and Spanish to Serve Others," UT News
- 9/28/20 "Inheriting a Tradition: Embracing My Dad's Love of the Outdoors," Latino Outdoors
- 6/24/20 "Into the Light," Profile of NCAA champion swimmer Maddy Banic, Torchbearer Magazine
- 9/20/19 "A Catalyst for Hope," Feature on the work of global sportswomen associated with UT's Center for Sport, Peace, and Society, Our Tennessee Magazine
- 11/17/17 "Megha Vora Fights so Girls and Women in India can Live Fearlessly," ESPN
- 8/1/17 "Sports Diplomacy Touches the World," Ability Magazine
- 12/15/16 "Paola Kuri Advocates for Soccer without Gender," ESPN
- 3/9/16 "At Boxing Weekend, Fraternities Battle (And Party) for More Than Just Bragging Rights," The Knoxville Mercury
Want to grab a coffee or a beer and talk with me? Email briancanever (at) gmail (dot) com.